Salt Mines

Hi my mother and I came back from Krakow in November after a brilliant weekend.She is now going again at the end of Feb for a week with my dad (i wish i were going too) and wants to go to the salt mines. I was wondering which form of public transport is easier, train or bus to salt mines. Thanks in advance Rugbygirl

- Posted by rugbygirl from Poland on Feb 9th, 2010

Hi Rugbygirl. I find the minibuses are best for trips to Wieliczka, they cost 3pln and leave every few minutes form the minibus park next to Galeria Krakovska.

- Posted by skibum from Poland on Feb 10th, 2010

The minibuses are really hard to navigate if you don't speak Polish. If your parents would prefer to travel in a private car, they can always order a tour of the mines that includes transport there and back: http://www.krakow-tours.com/tour/Wieliczka_Salt_Mine-Krakow

- Posted by bildungsr0man from Poland on Feb 10th, 2010

With all due respect, that's rubbish, the minibuses are great value, they have a huge sign on the front that says Wieliczka or Salt Mine, they stop right by the mine car parks and you give the driver 3pln. What's so difficult about that.

- Posted by skibum from Poland on Feb 10th, 2010

I agree skibum. its very easy.

- Posted by bazzag from Poland on Feb 10th, 2010

Easy is, of course, relative. Minibuses are not a complex system and can be highly efficient. But they probably are not so easy for foreign tourists, many of whom have no understanding of the language and wouldn't know a Wieliczka from a Wschod. Plus, there's a tendency to overcrowd the buses on popular routes. If cheap is all that matters, minibuses are great.

- Posted by groovesoop from Poland on Feb 11th, 2010

Apparently, there are different busses going to Wieliczka. The one I took also stopped at places before and after the salt mine, there was no announcement of the next stop so we had to ask other passengers when we have to get out. It was around the same price as the regular public bus going there, so the way back we took that one (which was also far less crowded). Were I to go again to the salt mine, I would just take the public one.

- Posted by jurek82 from Poland on Feb 11th, 2010

not shown