getting into krakow using public transport help

Going to Krakow soon (1st time). Thinking of getting train from airport to train station. Will we be able to buy train tickets onboard or where else can we buy them for 2 people? Will we have to pay for our cases too? From train station, can we get a bus into Kazimierz? extra tickets for case/s again? Is it best to buy a 3 day ticket getting money off transport and places to visit? If so, where can we get them? what are they called? Thanks for any help/tips"

- Posted by Susan0709 from Poland on Sep 3rd, 2009

The train to the central train station from the airport is easy and convenient. You may also take a bus. You should be able to buy your tickets on board the train from the conductor/ticket agent. The buses/trams, you will need to either buy a ticket from a kiosk (the little shops) or onboard. Onboard the newer trams is a vending machine that accepts Polish coins. The vending machines are also at some stops, so you can buy them there as well. Otherwise you have to buy them from the annoyed driver for extra money. Best to buy from the machines or kiosks. Luggage, if large, should have a ticket on board the buses and trams but I've never seen anybody ticketed for that. The train from the station, the luggage is gratis.

- Posted by groovesoop from Poland on Sep 3rd, 2009

Thanks for replying and tips. Is it easy to get to Kazimierz using public transport? Not been before and apprehensive (and not getting lost!) It takes a day or 2 to find your way around in a new place doesn't it. Looking forward to going though and trying veggie restaurants too. Am happy to receive any more tips, thanks

groovesoop said pretty much all of it. I have never seen anyone buy a ticket for big luggage on buses or trans. From the airport you have the train which goes to the train station which is right beside the square, and bus number 292 which comes twice an hour, is to the right when you exit the airport, then you can get off at the stops "Gallary Krakowska" or "AGH" and pretty much walk into the town square in 5-10 minutes. Anyone you ask will point the direction if you ask for rynek. Also from the train station you can take a bus to Kazimierz but then you would have to know which stop to get of at exactly or you could take a taxi, which are also at the train station and get there for about 30zl. A single adult ticket costs 2.50 pln, but if your going for a couple of days then 3 day tickets are better, but there made out of thin paper and can get lost or damaged easily. Good luck and email if you have any problems at plboczon@gmail.com

- Posted by panda123 from Poland on Sep 3rd, 2009

Thanks groovesoop and panda123 for your help. I'm sure we'll get there ok and really enjoy our trip. Finding your way around is part of the holiday too. Looking forward to going to the Salt Mines and heading to the camps while we're there. Thanks again

Susan, just add that when you leave the airport terminal by the right hand side you can either get the free shuttle bus to the train station or, if you want to stretch your legs, just follow the signs along the fence and walk the approx 300m to the platform. I have been twice to Cracow and found everyone friendly and helpfull. Public transport is great and good value,but it might be worthwhile just getting the taxi from the train station once you arrive in the city to save you the hassle of carrying your cases and looking for your hotel at the same time!!. There are some great tips on the forum for getting to the camps/mines etc. Have a read and if you have any questions then somebody is sure to know the answer. Hope you have a great trip.

- Posted by BigTone from Poland on Sep 4th, 2009

Thanks Bigtone for your help. Yes we might walk to the platform, get on the train to the central train station then probably get a taxi to our apartment with our cases etc. The website and forum is great with loads of useful tips. thanx again

- Posted by Susan0709 from Poland on Sep 4th, 2009

Hello Susan, I think all other colleagues from this forum advised you the most for your transport wonders.May I suggest you to buy a guide book or read articles on this website before going to Krakow to get a bit on all what you may have to visit overthere.as well, check other questions on this forum to get the most tips for your coming overthere.May I ask you if you have planned to visit Zakopane as well(info on zakopane-life.com).If yes, i may be able to welcome you overthere.Thanks for your reply in advance

- Posted by zabojat from Poland on Sep 4th, 2009

Thanks zabojat for your comments. Have got a guide book and am having a look through this website at people's comments re places to visit etc which is great. We'll make our own way to the camps and salt mines etc. We're about to head there and just going for a few days. Maybe we'll go to the mountains next time, thanks tho.

- Posted by Susan0709 from Poland on Sep 4th, 2009

Susan, I went to Auschwitz back in May 2009 by public transport. Here's how I did it and I hope you find the info a help. I got the 0710hrs mini bus from the lower level of the bus station. Buy a single ticket (10 Zltys) not a return ticket from the upstairs ticket office just in case you get a different bus on the way back. Get off the bus at the first stop after the Train station in Auschwitz. The driver will probably call out anyway. Walk across the road and through the gate and you will be at the reception in less than 3 minutes. You will be there just after it opens around 0830hrs. Buy the small white guide book (4 Zltys) and follow the map. There will be tour groups, but as they go in one block, you just go in the next one. There is an English film show at 1000hrs, so start you walk and then make you way back to reception. To get to Birkenau leave Auschwitz around 1200/1230hrs by the free shuttle bus. You will need more time at Birkenau. The best tip I would give is make sure you walk past the memorial at the end of the train track and go to the sauna block. The tour groups did not bother when I was there and the peace and quiet was a moment to remember. I spent a over 2 hours at Birkenau and even went up the Gatehouse tower.( Just ask nicely and you should be OK). I went back to Auschwitz and walked round again. Get the bus back to Krakow from the same spot as the morning by the gate. They run quite frequently, so don't worry to much if you miss one. Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on if you get a moment to reply. Tony

- Posted by BigTone from Poland on Sep 4th, 2009

Thanks bigTone - the info you gave will be so useful so thanks for that. It's really great to get the info, and what time you left to get the bus etc. I've read it takes 1 1/2 hours by bus to get there and you can spend a long time at both camps so it's a good idea to leave really early and get there when it opens. Thanks. We're going to Krakow early tomorrow am for 5 nights so will let you know how we get on, thanks again for your help, Susan

- Posted by Susan0709 from Poland on Sep 5th, 2009

Susan, Have a great trip. You should be able to pick up a very good FREE guide in your hotel called "Krakow in your pocket" plus a smaller fold out map. If your hotel does not have one then go into a "posh" one and they will be in reception. I look forward to your report!!!! Regards. Tony

- Posted by BigTone from Poland on Sep 5th, 2009

There's also a green-coloured guide that's really good with a great map. Have a great trip, tell us how it went

- Posted by groovesoop from Poland on Sep 5th, 2009

Thanks again to everyone for all your help. Will report back on our return and let you know how we get on, kind regards

- Posted by Susan0709 from Poland on Sep 5th, 2009

Just back from great trip to Krakow. It's easy to get the train from the airport to central train/bus station then get taxi (with cases) to hotel/apartment in town. Getting around Krakow is easy and best on foot. It takes 1 1/2 hours on bus to Auschwitz but you can do your own trip if you're there before 9am and after 3.30 pm. In between those times, you have to go with an guided tour. Salt mines are worth going to by bus. Polish people are very helpful and friendly. We had great weather last week. Some veggie cafes were excellent, some ok, one not so good. Found good Italian restaurant and Bagelmama on ul Dajwor is great too. Thanks for all your help.

- Posted by Susan0709 from Poland on Sep 14th, 2009

not shown