english muffins & bagels

These are two things I miss from back home. Sure the obwarzanka is tasty, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like a few flavors to choose from too. I know there are some restaurants that serve bagels, but do you know of any shops or supermarkets that stock them? Also - I am dying for a nice english muffin! Anyone seen them anywhere in Krakow? Thanks!

- Posted by artfruit from Poland on Jul 6th, 2009

Nava at Bagelmama sells great bagels in bulk (frozen) and there's a bagel bakery on ul. Jozefa that seems to sell them but I can't vouch for the quality as I haven't tried them. I haven't found English muffins here either but they're really simple to make yourself and they can be frozen.

- Posted by spoony from Poland on Jul 6th, 2009

thanks for your reply! it's true english muffins are fairly easy to make, but i usually try to avoid making anything that involves yeast, baking AND frying hehe :) also i find that homemade english muffins are usually much denser and heavier than store-bought kind. not to say that it's necessarily a bad thing, but i prefer a lighter muffin. also like baking most types of bread at home, it's a delicate balance of chemicals, temperature, etc, and it's not always easy to achieve at home without lots of experimenting! do you have any suggestions for achieving that perfect english muffin at home? i think if i get desperate enough i might have to try! :) thanks for the suggestions for bagels, i didn't know about this place on jozefa, i will definitely check it out. do you remember what it's called? as for bagelmama, i am guessing they are probably expensive there... do you remember how much they cost? thx :)

- Posted by artfruit from Poland on Jul 6th, 2009

this recipe for muffins doesn't involve any baking and works for me: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/English-Muffins/Detail.aspx also, I don't know how much Nava charges for bagels but if you check out their website you may find out. If not, just give them a call!

- Posted by spoony from Poland on Jul 6th, 2009

I've seen muffins in the supermarket In Galleria Kazimierz, can't remember it's name I'm afraid. But it's great for all sorts of foreign foods.

- Posted by skibum from Poland on Jul 13th, 2009

I have searched high and low for the Bagel place to no avail and I even emailed them. Im going again in October, have been to Krakow about 8 times now and adore the place. Can anyone tell me where the bagel place is near, I notice it has moved? Thank you :)

- Posted by seasideandie from Poland on Aug 16th, 2009

not shown