Concentration Camps

Is it a good idea to visit these sites? Should we get independent tour guides on this? We only have short time in Cracow. Thank you.

- Posted by Yankee Doo from Poland on Jan 12th, 2008

If you can, make your own way. The tour was very informative but far too short. Think we went round both sites in 2/3 hours and I feel we could have spent 5 hours easily. I am going back over in May and intend to do my own thing this time, and, although taxi's may make it expensive I intend to take my time.

- Posted by stevie4747 from Poland on Jan 19th, 2008

The trips offered to Auschwitz Birkenau are both expensive and unnecessary. Trains and buses run regularly and cheaply to Oswiecim (the Polish name for the location of the concentration camps). Admission is free. These should not be missed. They are an outstanding testimony to mans inhumanity to man. Equally worth a visit is the remains of the concentration camp at Plaszow. Hardly anything remains but the empty spaces speaks volumes. Only a monument and the sadistic Commandants home remain.

- Posted by Prawda from Poland on Jan 23rd, 2008

If you do decide to take a tour, I suggest you opt for one of the smaller group trips rather than the big buses, which are horribly impersonal. I disagree with the previous posters in some ways - a good guide can sometimes make all the difference...

- Posted by Jabber from Poland on Jan 23rd, 2008

not shown