Wieliczka -transport advice please!

I have friends in Krakow for the first time, who would like to use public transport to get to the salt mine and then take an English speaking tour. I have always used a taxi then taken a private guide as we had a larger group so not sure how to go about it! Any advice, especially as to where the minibus terminus is, both at the Krakow and Wieliczka end? Also, whether going by train is viable, as Wieliczka town railway station seems a long way from the salt mine itself. I have seen some bad reviews about being stranded at the ever-increasing number of giftshops underground, too, so any tips on avoiding this aspect? All suggestions (decent ones!) gratefully received, as the trip is planneed for tomorrow! Many thanks.

- Posted by katiecat from Poland on Dec 14th, 2009

Hi There, You can take the bus 304 to the salt mine. Here is a link to the MPK website where you will find the timetable. The bus goes pretty much around the Planty from Dworzec. It is a special "Agglomerate" bus so tickets should be around 3zl. They can be bought from the ticket machines but make sure you buy the correct ticket and not just the ordinary tickets for the "Miasto". The stop your friends need to get off at is " Wieliczka Kopalnia Soli" but I think the bus automation system announces this in English as well as Polish. I hope this helps. Enjoy the trip... its a nice 14 degrees down there all year round so at least you will be leaving the bitter cold behind!

- Posted by eimear01 from Poland on Dec 14th, 2009

sorry I forgot to post the MPK timetable website! http://www.mpk.krakow.pl/default.aspx?docId=154

- Posted by eimear01 from Poland on Dec 14th, 2009

Ca't help on the transport front I'm afraid, but would guess a minibus would be the easiest, but where to get it from I don't know. At the mine just put your names down and pay the entry at the ticket desk, they'll tell you the time of the next tour with an English guide, you'll just tag along with the other people in 1 group. Don't worry about being stranded at the gift shops, though they will give you time to buy something if you wish, before bringing you back to the giftshop above ground.

- Posted by skibum from Poland on Dec 14th, 2009

I went there by mini-bus because I didn't know where exactly the public bus departs. The way back I took the public bus. I would recommend the public one, the mini bus was quite overcrowded, (as far as I remember) neither cheaper nor faster and it was difficult for me as a non Polish speaker who doesn't know the area to figure out what stop to get out. There is a timetable for the mine tours on their website, check it out before leaving so you don't need to wait too long there before the tour starts.

- Posted by Jurek82 from Poland on Dec 15th, 2009

I forgot to mention, both the mini bus and the public one stop at the same place, you just need to walk uphill for < 5 minutes to get to the mine (Signs show the directions).

- Posted by Jurek82 from Poland on Dec 15th, 2009

not shown