Local Life Krakow is about to select candidates for Best Places awards, dedicated to rewarding and encouraging excellence in products, service and ideas. You are helping us to make the best choice.
Deco Hostel has 0 votes. Click here to see the results.
You can vote once a day for your favourite place.
Poland was the toast of Paris's pre-war international exhibition, winning more prizes than any other country. The Poles took to the Art Deco style like ducks to water. This hostel may not be dripping with film star glamour, but it's certainly got a distinctive feel about it. It gets a big thumbs up from our team - the building would make a perfect set for a spy thriller. Modern day bonuses include free internet access and laundry service, and there is a cutting edge theatre round the corner that stages drama without words. For healthy hikers there is also bicycle hire, and most importantly, no lock out!
Editor & Krakow Local
oceniam hostel na 5-.
Wszystko byłoby świetnie, gdyby nie problemy z wi-fi w pokoju na ostatnim piętrze. Nasz pokój był czysty, zadbany, łazienka również. Z wyjątkiem wi-fi nie ma się do czego przyczepić.
Very nice, new renovated and clean hostel with absolutely clean bathroom. Kind and helpful staff. 10 min walk from the city center, not very loud surroundings. Deffinitely recommend for your stay in Cracow!
great place with a kind and flexible staff, I had a very nice time there
I've never seen a hostel like that... All's OK, I was surprised the quality.
Great hostel. I'll get back here next time. Really beutiful rooms, nice staff. My daughter ze amazin'. Oh, super.
Had a great stay in Hostel Deco - nice, clean hostel with a cool theme. The staff were always friendly, helpful and didn't hesitate to give me information or even help me with my Polish! Great location and a really nice atmosphere, would recommend to anyone travelling to Krakow.
I had an excellent week's stay at this hostel. It was spotlessly clean. The staff was friendly, helpful, and spoke good English. The art deco theme was carried throughout the building, with all the switches, door handles, wallpaper, and light fittings. It felt safe, secure, and warm. What you get for your money is great value. I was amazed that the basic rate included service laundry. I even got to watch a DVD in the common room for no charge. There was 24-hour reception, and 24-hour free tea and coffee. Most hotels offer less, and charge more. One tiny criticism - not always soap in the loos. Heartily recommended.
According to me, that hostel is the best one in Poland...Very kind and disponible staff, comfortable rooms, easy acces to the best parts of the town and low price. I will be back for sure!!!
Jeden z najlepszych hosteli w jakim byłam! Ładnie urządzony, czysty i w dobrej cenie! Obsługa pomocna i uprzejma. Dobra lokalizacja- do centrum miasta jest ok.10 minut na piechotę, na przeciwko jest sklep gdzie można zaopatrzyć się w jedzenie i wszystko co potrzebne. Fajny wystrój wnętrz :D Wspaniała atmosfera- moża tu spotkać ludzi z całego świata:) polecam!
Really wonderfull conditions for really small price! Nice and helpfull staff, very comfortable bed, and clean bathroom. Totally recommend! :)
It was a pleasure to stay in this hostel. I was a solo traveller and stayed here in 2010 for four days. The staff are incredibly helpful and friendly. My room was very comfortable and very clean. I would not hesitate in recomending this hostel to anyone, my wish is to return someday soon...
Simply amazing place :) What should I add more? Maybe some details: rooms are amazing, stuff is amazing too, atmosphere in general is amazing as well ;) The cheap prise for such a great standard - amazing too ;) Highly recommended!
I am just full of great things to say about this place! I'll do my usual list of pros and cons to make it more reader-friendly, though.
- The staff! The staff here are excellent. I have had hotels that have not treated me as well as the Deco staff. For instance, each morning, sandwiches are left out for guests to take at lunch time. I looked at the sandwiches, but I thought I only saw meat ones, and I am a vegetarian, so I didn't take a sandwich. No big deal. That night, I came back to the hostel, and the receptionist noticed that I had not taken a sandwich and asked me why I didn't take one. I explained my reasoning. Turns out, there was a sandwich without meat, but I just didn't look carefully enough. I was promised there would be a sandwich for me the next day, too. Impressed that they even cared, I went to bed and thought nothing more of it. The next morning, I come down to breakfast, and the receptionist approaches me with a sandwich that had been set aside especially for me. Little things like that make a HUGE difference in my book. I found myself tipping the staff when I left because they were so amazing!
- Free breakfast. It's just cereal and coffee, but it was nice and handy to not have to go out for breakfast or grab some on the way into town.
- Free laundry. After a week and a half of travelling, it was so nice to have some clean clothes. Even better? They did the laundry for us for free!
- Nice room. We stayed in the Pigeon Coop on the very top floor. The room was a great size, we had our own bathroom, we had a lovely view, and it was quiet and peaceful. We slept like babies!
- Lots of character. The art deco/1920s and 30s theme is present throughout the whole place and is very sweet. There are headshots of all the staff members dressed in character in the lobby and antique furniture all throughout the hostel. It's really very impressive.
- Free internet. There are two computers in the lobby that provide free, fast internet. You can also ask for a code to get free wi-fi on your mobile device/laptop.
- No elevator. This was not an issue for me, but I see people complain about this with other hotels, so I figured I'd bring it up. We were on the top floor, which was not fun with bags, but it really wasn't an issue otherwise.
- The location. Again, this was not an issue for me as the location was in a decent neighborhood that was only 10-15 mins away from Rynek Glowny, but for some, this might be considered a long walk, so I thought I would warn you about it in case it is. On the plus side, though, you can catch a bus to the airport just half a block away, which helps save some money, and there is a mini-mart across the street where you can buy cheaper bottled water, snacks, etc. than are available in the town center.
In short, I was delighted with this place. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone, and I will most definitely be staying there my next time in Krakow!
Room Tip: The Pigeon Coop was lovely!
A really good hostel - one of the best in Krakow!
Had the pleasure of spending 7 nights here for my 21st birthday.
Great place to stay. Clean, warm and staff that are amazingly helpful. They even helped me and a friend go to place they hadn't even heard of :)
Very friendly indeed.
I stayed in two twin rooms during my stay. The first twin room on the top floor wasn't amazingly decorated but it was private with it's own bathroom and shower. It was like a power shower but with very reactive controls - amazing. The toilet was sadly misplaced on a step inside the bathroom on the far wall so excreting is pretty weird.
The other twin I stayed in was amazingly decorated and looked better than many 5 star hotels that I have stayed in. I was in love with it. The shared bathroom had a good shower and the shared toilet was actually on a normal level so that your feet can touch the floor hehe
Breakfast is good. Sandwich and unlimited Muselli or Cornflakes.
I actually threw up on the night of my birthday (all over my bedsheets too) but it didn't incur any extra costs. Don't go down the whole Wodka menu without chasers :)
Nit picking - Private twin room was not as beautifully decorated and the toilet being off the ground lol
Otherwise, I would rate 5 stars and I definately encourage you to come here.
FREE INTERNET (2 comps)
FREE common room with DVDs and Xbox360.
If I go back to cracov I will definately stay here again .
Was to be alone for four days in Krakow prior to a friend's joining me for an additional week, so I decided to find something less expensive for those days. I wish I had booked this hostel for my entire stay. The staff was superb, the driver was a exceptional, and the comfort was beyond my expectations. I am 74 yr. old--did require an ensuite private room on a level no higher than the first floor. I had been in three other hostels in my life (at a much younger age). Deco Hostel was better than most hotels and all the hostels I had occupied over the years. Perhaps, the only minor negative for me was the walk to the tram stop (about two blocks away) because of some health issues I had at the time. Ordinarily, the two block walk would have been a non-issue. However, the cab fare between Deco/Main Square never exceeded ten zlotych (@ $3 at the current exchange rate. I used the cab on occasion upon returning at night. The other times I took the tram. Number 3 stopped about one block from the Main Square ("All Saints Plaza") and the famous "Milk Bar" in Krakow. [However, watch for temporary changes in tram stops: yellow vs. white backgound. Ask at front desk for an explanation.] The room had its own heater for chilly nights; the water in the shower was always very hot; it also had its own balcony overlooking the garden area--available also as a smoker's refuge. The free breakfast was adequate; a large grocery store one block north had a wide variety of snacks, juices, beverages, etc. I was very impressed with the cleanliness and quietude in the lounge/kitchen area in close proximity to my room. For the average backpacker the walk to the Main Square would be ten to 15 minutes. Tram fares are minimal. Besides transfers to/from the airport, the driver (Marcin) can arrange for excursions to other cities (e.g. Zakopane, etc.). I would return to DECO without hesitation. The Price is right!
Wow finally a hostel with character. Deco may be slightly further out than some hostels i saw in Krakow, but i never regretted staying here. Great rooms, really comfortable, fantastic building and i only paid ten euros for my room!!! Can't really beat that
Stayed at the Deco for 3 nights in Dec. The staff at Deco are great (they are friendly & helpful) and the place its self is immaculate. Had a double private room and it was better than some hotels I've stayed in. Will definately be staying here again.