Long Live The King!
King's Day (or 'Koningsdag' in Dutch) is a national holiday in the Kingdom of the Netherlands. It's celebrated on April 27th, the birthday of King Willem-Alexander.
This year marks the second edition of King's Day instead of the former Queen's Day. In 2013 Queen Beatrix stepped down as Queen of the Netherlands and her eldest son Willem-Alexander became King. So since then (as long as he's King) we celebrate King's Day in the Netherlands.
The slogan for King's Day in Eindhoven is: "Eindhoven=King", and this means there's something for everyone. With over 200.000 visitors our city is a real hotspot this day, mainly focussed around dance and other music. Every available spot has live music - from a guy and his guitar playing to a small crowd on a patio, to a massive stage with a popular DJ. Every square will have its own unique vibe so half the fun is wandering around and finding the scene that suits you best. There are also flea markets, where people from all over the area set up tables or lay down blankets to display used goods for sale. Anything and everything is available and the streets are mobbed with people looking for a bargain. The one rule of the day: wear orange. The more (and brighter) the better - the locals will love you for sharing their national pride!
Eindhoven King's Day celebrations 2018
There's so much going on in our lively city, both on King's Day and the night before, it's almost impossible to give a complete overview of all performing acts and activities. Visit the 'Eindhoven=King'-website for more info and check out your favourite places for their own program. You can find our recommendations here, all of which are free to attend (unless mentioned otherwise):
- Aquabest: Supersized Kingsday. Nine dance areas, all dance styles are represented, tickets available online, 12-11pm
- Dynamo: Royal Block Party. Hip hop, trap, funk and soul dance music, from 2pm-12
- Stadhuisplein: Royal Dutch Eindhoven with (inter)national DJ's, from 12-12
- Markt: King's Party. Party music all day long, with spectacular light show
- De Bergen: Kleine Berg & Wilhelminaplein, flea market during the day, from 9am, transforms into a party spot , from 9am-10pm
- Stationskwartier: Dutch Party with typical Dutch music Koningsfeest. 12-12
- De Bergen area: children activities, terraces, live music and market stands, from 9am
- Wilhelminaplein: Orange market, open stage and several live bands, 9am-11pm
- Stadswandelpark (park next to Parktheater): Open market for everyone, adults and children, 100 stalls, a dj and dance performances by and for kids, from 10am-6pm
At King-S in the Strijp-S area you can find different stages and a very diverse program, there's surely something you like.
Eindhoven 'King's Night' celebrations 2018
The night before King's Day traditionally also is a night of celebrations, called King's Night (Koningsnacht). Some of the highlights:
- Stadhuisplein: Royal Dutch Eindhoven with (inter)national DJ's, from 7.00pm-1am
- Markt: King's Party, large stage with a DJ, act and light show from 7pm
- Jan van Lieshoutstraat: Party street in front of O'Sheas
- Wilhelminaplein: Orange Party, from 6pm
At King-S in the Strijp-S area you can find different stages and a very diverse program, something for everyone!
As you can see, there's so much to do! We have no doubt you'll have a great two days!