some advice please?

Hi everybody, I will be visiting your city this weekend with some friends, after having it booked for many months I am so excited after hearing such great things. I was wondering if anybody out there could possibly give me any advice/pointers on a couple of things. Firstly, we are thinking about visiting Auschwitz would you recommend booking this through a agency or going it alone and using the public transport. Also, does anybody have any rough idea's of prices for doing either? Also, with regards to dining. (I know this can vary) but could anybody give me a rough idea of how much we would expect to pay for a meal? Also, I'm sure we'll be sampling the polish vodka in some of your many bars. Could anyone give me an average price on drinks? Thank you in advance. xx

- Posted by michy07 from Poland on Mar 16th, 2009

Hi Michy07, You can certainly get to Auschwitz by public bus or train, but I would recommend taking a tour with a company (Krakow-Tours.com is probably the best) I am not sure about the prices, but it should be reasonable, and they will take you door-to-door and arrange a guide, everything included in the price. As for meals, expect to pay around 50 zloty per person for a decent main course and drinks - that's around 10 pounds per person. Of course, you can pay double that for a great meal with starters and desert.... lots to choose from on this site! Drinks are around 7 zloty for a beer in a bar (that's 1.40 pounds) and cocktails are probably double that. Too many great places to enjoy them all - do your best!!!! Regards, Jabber

- Posted by Jabber from Poland on Mar 17th, 2009

Hi Jabber, the Auschwitz tour companies seem to get better reviews rather than public transport. I don't mind the hassle of the local buses etc, but are there any real problems in going it alone?

- Posted by BigTone from Poland on Mar 17th, 2009

Hi BigTone, There's really not a problem going it alone - but just bear in mind that it will be a bit more hassle (or more adventure!) depending how you look at it. Public transport is regular but slow and a bit scruffy. You may also not find it easy to sort out tickets etc without some basic Polish.... cheers, Jabber

- Posted by Jabber from Poland on Mar 17th, 2009

Thanks Jabber for you response. Much appreciated. Can't wait to get there :o)

- Posted by michy07 from Poland on Mar 18th, 2009

Hi Jabba, thanks for the update. I was going "learn" how much and which bus to get then hope the guide at Auschwitz would understand my cockney accent!! I wanted to look around at my own pace and perhaps walk between the 2 camps. I agree that the bus would be slower, I just wanted to take in a much as possible without getting "rushed around" If you think of anything else, perhaps you could let me know? Regards.

- Posted by BigTone from Poland on Mar 18th, 2009

there is a free bus that goes between the two camps every hour, you can check the times and take that. i don't recommend walking, it's 3 km between the camps, which takes a good half-hour to walk and it's easy to get lost - something i learned the hard way when i missed the last bus back from the second camp.

- Posted by djsilence from Poland on Mar 19th, 2009

Thanks DJsilence for your tips on Auschwitz and also the Amber brewery.

- Posted by BigTone from Poland on Mar 19th, 2009

not shown