Surprise trip for my dad's birthday..

I am wanting to take my dad to cracow for his birthday in march and was wandering where would be the best place to stay, with the most atmosphere and things to do. I will also be taking him to Auschwitz as he has always wanted to go there so need to be staying somewhere where can easily get to by bus etc, would be so grateful for any suggestions. We will hopefully be gong in march, but probably just for a weekend.

- Posted by jemma123 from Poland on Feb 23rd, 2009

Hi Jemma,I am visiting Krakow for the second time in May.I don't work for the tourist board, but what a great city. Last year, I stayed in the Andels hotel which is just by the train station. Very handy for getting to and from the airport.Very good hotel. If you stay here you will not be far from the bus station if you want to get to Auschwitz under your own steam. If not, Andels will book a tour for you.You will not be too far from the main square either as it's about 5 to 10 minutes walk. This year I am staying at the Wielopole Hotel which is about 15 minutes from the station. Nothing wrong with Andels, I just wanted to be a bit closer to the castle & the Kazimierz area. Hope this has helped a little. Regards.

- Posted by BigTone from Poland on Feb 23rd, 2009

The andels is a good choice but if you want a bit of character try the amadeus, a hotel with a lot of history, some of the rooms even have a skylight window from which you can gaze out over the krakow rooftops.

- Posted by bazzag from Poland on Feb 23rd, 2009

Thanks for your reply's shall do some investigating. Is that in the old town? what is there to see and do near there? Am really looking forward to it.Hope you have a good time when you go in May.

- Posted by jemma123 from Poland on Mar 4th, 2009

Hi Jemma. Kazimierz was once a separate town just outside the city of Cracow. I have read that the streets are quite narrow and hold a different atmosphere from the main square in Cracow. Until I go in May, I'm not 100% sure what to expect, but then that's the joy of travelling. By the time you have seen bits of Cracow and been to Auschwitz, you may run out of time. Hope this helps.

- Posted by BigTone from Poland on Mar 4th, 2009

Hi Jemma again. I meant to ask, did you get booked up OK for Auschwitz or are you going to make your own way there? Regards.

Hello, im now thinking of staying at the Wielopole hotel as just had a look at it and looked really nice and has great reviews. I was just wandering do you know how you would get there from the airport? I think im just going to make my own way to Auschwitz, not entirly sure how yet but think is about an hour away. Do you know if its open on a sunday?

- Posted by jemma123 from Poland on Mar 4th, 2009

Jemma. The easiest way to the hotel would be by taxi from the airport. Otherwise it is a shuttle bus to the train, then the train journey itself, then a 15 minute walk to the hotel. The hotel will be about 15 minutes from the bus station and takes about 75 minutes to get to Auschwitz. Have a look a booking with a tour company for the comfort factor once again. Let me know how you get on.

Hi Jemma, Have you visited yet? If so, how did it go? Any suggestions about what was good/bad to give others some suggestions? Regards, Jabber

- Posted by Jabber from Poland on Mar 17th, 2009

not shown