English TV!!!!

Anyone can help whether it is at all possible to watch English TV in Poland? I mean channels such as BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4? I was advised 3 meters dish to catch signal from Astra 2D but this sounds impossible..... I would appreciate if someone could help Anna

- Posted by hankas007 from Poland on Aug 11th, 2008

Sorry Anna. Have no idea kathmaria

- Posted by kathmaria from Poland on Aug 11th, 2008

Hi Anna, I had the same withdrawal symptoms and eventually hooked up to Canal + with the maximum English channel combinations. It’s got more American than English but is still OK. It has BBC news but sadly not the full BBC set. It has plenty of movie channels plus foxlife, HBO etc. The installation did require the installation of a dish at my place. Good luck.

- Posted by ILPodgorze from Poland on Aug 11th, 2008

Hi! I've got a 90cm satellite dish and sky box and get channels 4&5 and all the sky channels etc. Basically everything except the BBC and ITV. The guy who set up my system does a lot of work for other expats and said that even a 3m dish he set up here couldn't manage to get BBC so I figured it's impossible.

- Posted by spoony from Poland on Aug 11th, 2008

Hi Spoony This is great news! Channel 4 & 5 would be much better than nothing! Any chance for a contact number for this guy who sets up satelites for expats? Thank you Anna

- Posted by hankas007 from Poland on Aug 11th, 2008

Hi Anna, An alternative option instead of getting a huge dish would be to get something called Slingbox. If you have a friend or family in the UK who have Sky or Cable or Freeview, you connect this box to their receiver and then via the internet you can watch everything they have access to. A possible alternative if you don't want to go through the hassle of getting a dish installed. I know a fellow expat living here who's got one and he says he gets all the channels and programs that he craves from the UK! For more info on it, go to www.slingbox.com, or give me a shout and I'll be happy to advise in any way that I can. Enjoy! Legendary!

- Posted by legendary from Poland on Aug 12th, 2008

cheers Legendary. This maybe a good option for us. My fiancee's mum still lives in England and has freeview & and broadband (although in seperate rooms) do u think it is possible to connect a slingbox to this type of setup?

- Posted by hankas007 from Poland on Aug 12th, 2008

Hey, yeah that should be relatively easy to do. Most likely that you'd connect the Slingbox to the Freeview receiver in the same room (normally via scart cable), and then just have to run a cable from the Slingbox to the broadband modem. There are a few other options you can use instead of getting a really long cable though. I'm pretty sure you can now connect them using the power sockets in the house. All you need to pay for with the slingbox is the cost of the box. There's no monthly fees or anything like that! If you want to know more, or want some more advice then let me know. I used to work with this sort of technology in the UK, so am relatively familiar with it. Enjoy! Legendary!

- Posted by legendary from Poland on Aug 12th, 2008

Hi Legendary, I'm so happy to hear that there is hope....!!!!(: If you don't mind, my boyfriend will ask you a few extra questions about the set up. Have you got any email address or mobile we could contact? We can also use this forum if you prefer. Thanks Anna

- Posted by hankas007 from Poland on Aug 12th, 2008

Hey Anna, Not a problem. You can email me at sales@krakowpost.com Cheers! Legendary!

- Posted by legendary from Poland on Aug 14th, 2008

Spoony, we live in Krakow and have a 2M dish and receive ITV1,2,3 and 4, also BBC1 and many others like Sky News and Eurosport. BBC2 needs a 3M dish. Just pay for equipment and installation and there you go - no monthly charges. Total cost was about 3000PLN.

- Posted by erica24 from Poland on Aug 14th, 2008

You're lucky! I don't have space for a 2m dish but paid only 250PLN for getting my system set up. I love the Slingbox idea though - can you play it through a TV? (I don't fancy sitting facing a computer screen...)

- Posted by spoony from Poland on Aug 18th, 2008

Hey Spoony! Yeah the Slingbox works via the internet and you need the software on your computer to watch the feed, but you can easily get a cable to connect your PC to your computer, and then hey presto you've got English TV on your telly! :-) Enjoy! Legendary!

- Posted by legendary from Poland on Aug 18th, 2008

Sorry, I mean you can connect your PC to your telly and then you have it there!! Legendary!

- Posted by legendary from Poland on Aug 18th, 2008

not shown