Advice needed after break in

I have been living in Kraków for the last 2 months and I have to say I am having a fantastic time. Unfortunately I returned home last night to find that my flat had benn broken into and my laptop and 360 had been stolen. The police were great and I had no communtication problems as one of the teachers from my school came round and helped translate for me. My landlady has the flat insured but I am not sure with which company. Basically I was just wondering if anyone has been through a similar situation and if they could tell me roughly how long the turnaround time is with the police and insurance companies? I know the times will vary greatly with each company but any info would be a massive help, I live out here on my own so my laptop is my lifeline to my friends and family back home! Also just to let you know the area I live in is UL.Lea next to the University Pedagogicznego and the police informed me that there were 5 other robberies in this area yesterday (another got reported while the police were at my house as wel) so if you live in this area stay vigilant! Thanks in advance!

- Posted by benji2387 from Poland on Oct 23rd, 2010

I can give you an idea based on what happened to us. We came home late at night to find that someone had been there but didn't realize it wasn't a friend or family member until the next day. After we called the police, four detectives came and interviewed us and dusted the place for prints. We gave them an itemized list and description of the missing items, including the laptop. We called the insurance and a man came out a few days later to inspect and interview us. It was all so quick and diligent that we thought we were in for a quick turnaround. Nope. First the police had no leads, so they had to wait. Nothing they could do. The insurance wouldn't pay without a final report from the police, who wouldn't issue one since the investigation was ongoing. Four months or so later, the perps finally got caught after dozens of robberies in one area led some bright cops to catch them one night. Of course, by then these guys had fenced all but a few worthless pieces of jewelry and some random stuff. There was no laptop and no hope of recovery. Fortunately for us, the police recovered a piece of jewelry that my wife identified as hers, thus linking these guys to the crime and the ability to close the case and issue the final report. We received the insurance a month or two later after repeated calls to their office and letters back and forth. I hope your stuff turns up soon or your insurance has more sense than ours, but be prepared for a long wait.

- Posted by groovesoop from Poland on Oct 25th, 2010

not shown