Ideas for flying visit to Cracow

Hi, we are visiting cracow for 4 days next week and for the first time. Whilst we are happy to do some of the touristy things we would love some ideas for alternative places to visit. Suggestions for sightseeing and authentic restaurants (touristy restaurants my bugbear!) greatly appreciated. Also, are there any good "local" markets to visit? Thankyou

- Posted by kermit from Poland on Feb 5th, 2010

OK, I'll give it a go. Try Stary Kleparz or Hala Targowa for unique Polish market-style shopping. If you want authentic, great-tasting food (and not very pricey), Dookola Swiata on Szewska or Koko on Golebia. If you have tried a Bar Mleczny, that's worth a trip. There's a good one on Grodzka (look for the blue sign on the right as you're walking to Wawel). If you come in the spring (or during good weather anyway) be sure to check out the Cracow Mounds for some great views. Finally, three of my favorite spots near Krakow for day trips: Pieskowa Skala with a nice castle and interesting rock formations (about 30 minutes north), Niepolomice (famous for its woods, trails and bison range) and Korzkiew Castle (beautiful old castle tucked into a tiny, tiny valley). Cheers.

- Posted by groovesoop from Poland on Feb 8th, 2010

If you want really great Polish food, including handmade pierogi, try Nostalgia on Karmelicka Street. It's not the cheapest, but it's not a tourist rip-off either. Also, spend some time wandering around Kazimierz and Podgorze, as most tourists stick to the Old Town and miss the "real" Krakow.

- Posted by bildungsr0man from Poland on Feb 10th, 2010

Almost forgot ... be sure to wander one of the Polish cemetaries. Rakowicki is the best in Cracow, but there's also a nice one on the way up to Kopiec Kosciuszki (mound). This may seem an odd recommendation, but I've never seen a people take care of their departed as in Poland. Not just some graves, but nearly every one is in some way cared for. And some are from hundreds of years ago. A peaceful (and cool in the summer) way to spend an afternoon.

- Posted by groovesoop from Poland on Feb 11th, 2010

Hi, try this for a concise guide to the best of Krakow http://www.urbantravelblog.com/guide/krakow Plus you might enjoy this feature article about taking a COmmie tour - i can def recommend it! http://www.urbantravelblog.com/experience/krakow-communism-tours

- Posted by DJRodez from Poland on Feb 19th, 2010

not shown