auschwitz tours

hi guys and gals can u tell me is it better to book an auschwitz tour on line before i go or at the hotel or travel agancy when i arrive thanks for any advice Robbo

- Posted by robbomcc from Poland on Jul 13th, 2009

There is no need to book in advance, and there are many options of different companies you can book with. Bear in mind that the tour is FREE, you're only paying for your transport to and from, so shop around for the cheapest transport available. At Auschwitz you can pay for an English speaking guide if you want one, but really there's no need as all exhibits are labelled in many languages.

- Posted by skibum from Poland on Jul 13th, 2009

Thanks for the advice Skibum very interesting and much appreciated ROBBO

- Posted by robbomcc from Poland on Jul 15th, 2009

Hi Robbo, If you do decide to book in advance, krakow-tours.com are very helpful - I've used them several times and been happy with the service. It is not that expensive, and if you book in advance, at least it is one less thing to hunt around for once you arrive. I am sure you will have a most memorable (heart-wrenching) experience however you decide to get there. Cheers, Jabber

- Posted by Jabber from Poland on Jul 15th, 2009

Hmm why even book a tour? Just go to the bus station pay 10zl to go to Aushwitz and do the tour yourself. Everything is in English, Polish, and Hebrew. I don't see why people would spend extra when you can do it yourself. However if you want to do a tour just ask the receptionist at your hotel or hostel.

- Posted by Stevek85 from Poland on Jul 15th, 2009

A tour is a good idea if you really don't know what you're doing, and don't know a lick of Polish. If you take a tour, at least you don't have to worry about getting there and back, and you can make the most of your experience at the camps.

- Posted by bildungsr0man from Poland on Jul 16th, 2009

Robbo, I went to Auschwitz back in May 2009 by public transport. Here's how I did it and I hope you find the info a help. I got the 0710hrs mini bus from the lower level of the bus station. Buy a single ticket (10 Zltys) not a return ticket from the upstairs ticket office just in case you get a different bus on the way back. Get off the bus at the first stop after the Train station in Auschwitz. The driver will probably call out anyway. Walk across the road and through the gate and you will be at the reception in less than 3 minutes. You will be there just after it opens around 0830hrs. Buy the small white guide book (4 Zltys) and follow the map. There will be tour groups, but as they go in one block, you just go in the next one. There is an English film show at 1000hrs, so start you walk and then make you way back to reception. To get to Birkenau leave Auschwitz around 1200/1230hrs by the free shuttle bus. You will need more time at Birkenau. The best tip I would give is make sure you walk past the memorial at the end of the train track and go to the sauna block. The tour groups did not bother when I was there and the peace and quiet was a moment to remember. I spent a over 2 hours at Birkenau and even went up the Gatehouse tower.( Just ask nicely and you should be OK). I went back to Auschwitz and walked round again. Get the bus back to Krakow from the same spot as the morning by the gate. They run quite frequently, so don't worry to much if you miss one. Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on if you get a moment to reply. Tony

- Posted by BigTone from Poland on Jul 17th, 2009

Dear RugbyGirl. This was the message I was talking about. Regards Big Tone

- Posted by BigTone from Poland on Aug 7th, 2009

not shown