Literature

Hello! I've just returned from Krakow and i LOVED it! I'm completely charmed by the city and now that i'm back i'm trying to find some of the books that were recommended to me by tour guides etc. I couldn't write down any titles so am searching with fuzzy logic - Firstly i was hoping to locate the 'myth' of issac - a man who searched all the bridges of Prague for a pot of treasure that he saw in his dreams, to find it was in his stove. Author? Secondly - is there a novel of the Eagle under the Pharmacy? About the Jewish ghetto in Kazimerez. Third - My guide in Auschwitz mentioned 'So this is Canada'. Less specifically, if anyone can reccommend some Polish literature, i'd be very grateful! Thanks very much in advance!

- Posted by kathy9801 from Poland on Sep 5th, 2008

Hi Kathy, Did you find this page already on the site, which has some good recommendations? http://www.cracow-life.com/poland/krakow-books

- Posted by Jabber from Poland on Sep 20th, 2008

I highly recommend the book "This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen" by Tadeusz Borowski, which is widely available in English translation. It's the most realistic account of life in Auschwitz, and any visitor to Krakow should read it.

- Posted by djsilence from Poland on Oct 14th, 2008

not shown