Attacked Easter Sunday near old town

I would like to share my experience with you about visiting Krakow. It was my very first time over Easter break March 28 - April 1 2013, long weekend. My friend had just moved there for work for 6 months. I heard that Krakow was one of better places to visit and better standard of life, had never visited and thought would be nice as my friend is there now. However this was put to the test when we were attacked just outside of the old town, coming from the Jewish quarter after we had dinner. It was about 9.45pm on Easter Sunday, it had snowed was a cold weekend. It happened between Sabastiana and Dominikanski close to the old town. We were walking this area, there were some people around but had passed by, in front of us were 3 guys. We did not pay much attention as they were laughing, smoking and seemed "happy". All of a sudden there was no one around and they ambushed us. One fat black eyed guy, leader I presume, took out a metal rod from his coat sleeve, waving it around and saying "MONEY", "GIVE MONEY NOW". We said there is no money and he took a swing at my friend on the side of the knee. We moved backwards and he moved forward.. at me now and said the same, I shouted at my friend to get police, I was close to him and to protect myself, but he took a swing with the metal rod against my right leg below the knee "fortunately I guess" It was on the bone and had tremendous pain. For some reason, he backed off and the others too and we ran the opposite direction trying to find a policeman. We had no luck. Walking back it was very painful. Back at the appartment, it was sessions of ice on the huge swollen knee area. The Easter Monday was impossible to walk and that evening I had a flight back to Belgium. Once back in Belgium, I did make a call long distance to the Krakow police to monitor that area. Its a shame that these things happen, it can happen anywhere, but in all of my life I have never been aggressed. Be very safe! Peace.

- Posted by carlton1 from Poland on Apr 8th, 2013

Dear fellow tourist, This is apparently not news worthy by the so called Managing Editor of Krakow Post "Jamie Stokes" : ____ Carlton, Sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant experience in Krakow. The crime rate is much lower here than in many European cities, but crime does happen, as you, unfortunately discovered. While undoubtedly traumatic for you and your friend, I'm afraid this incident is not the kind of thing we would usually report in the Krakow Post. Jamie ____ To Jamie, I did not unfortunately discover myself in that position. It discovered me! you are disgusting indifferent to society. I believe its my civil duty to mention what happened, furthermore for other tourist who come with rose coloured eyes that its just another European city, where as its not. The purpose of any newspaper, be it online or otherwise is to give information to the public. I strongly suggest, that you take this matter at hand and DO report this incident. Could you live with the fact that a girl could be raped, because you decided this was not the kind of thing you would report in the Krakow Post? Your words. Do something positive ISO brushing it under the carpet Jamie!

- Posted by carlton1 from Poland on Apr 10th, 2013

Thanks for this post, Carlton. The location is bit vague. Were you in the Planty? On ulica Gertrudy? On ulica Dietla?

- Posted by misterrocky from Poland on May 1st, 2013

Hey Carlton, thanks for reporting this. I have been living here for about 2 years and always assumed it was very safe- but apparently, it is not! Good to know. Sometimes I walk home alone quite late at night---along similar routes- so it's really helpful to know!!

- Posted by Amy from United Kingdom on May 26th, 2013

I am shocked by what I have read. I am always walking along this area and have always felt very safe...here and other parts of Krakow. I am so sorry this has happened but it is not the norm.

- Posted by Kathleen from United Kingdom on Jul 17th, 2013

Sorry to hear about this. Like Kathleen, I have always felt very safe here in Krakow... I will be more careful in future.

- Posted by Mark from United Kingdom on Aug 12th, 2013

That crimerate in Krakow is about as high here as in other major cities in the West, is not true. I have lived and traveled in many countries but never been exposed to so much trouble with criminality as in Krakow. Crime exsist all over the Poland as in all other countries, but especially in Krakow. That’s why the Polish government decided to appoint 500 new police services in Krakow this year, as well as police cadets to complete their internship in Krakow. My recommendation, be extra careful, Krakow is not like the other citys in Poland.

- Posted by New in the city from Sweden on Nov 30th, 2013

not shown